The College of New Jersey

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     


Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I get connected with Disability Support Services (DSS) at The College of New Jersey?

To get connected with DSS, you should fill out the affiliation form and return it via fax, email, or in-person to the program Director. In completing the affiliation form, you are notifying The College that you are planning on accessing reasonable accommodations as a TCNJ student. The affiliation form serves as a starting point for formulating an accommodation plan.

2. Do I need to provide documentation of disability to receive reasonable accommodations at TCNJ?

Yes, you will need to submit documentation as part of the DSS affiliation process. Documentation should be no more than three years old, on letterhead, from a licensed professional. Documentation should reflect how your disability is anticipated to intersect with The College experience. DSS services are accessible for the duration of your TCNJ experience. You do not need to re-apply for services every year.

3. I have never been evaluated on the basis of disability, but I have always noticed that I struggle with certain subject areas. Does DSS provide opportunities for evaluation?

DSS does not provide opportunities for disability-related evaluation, however, a list of “local” evaluators can be provided upon request.

4. What happens after I submit my DSS affiliation form and my documentation?

After you submit your DSS affiliation form and documentation, this information will be reviewed by the program Director. After the review, you will be contacted about the next steps in the accommodation process.

5. I received accommodations in high school. Will these same accommodations be available to me as a TCNJ student?

Not necessarily. It is important to consider the differences between the
K-12 educational environment and The College environment. The program Director will collaborate with you (and your faculty) to develop an accommodation plan that provides educational access.

6: How will my professors know that I am affiliated with DSS?

You will receive a letter of accommodation at the beginning of each semester. You can then distribute this letter to your faculty as you feel comfortable. As part of the letter distribution process, it is encouraged that you keep the lines of communication open with your faculty in regard to access and your accommodations.

7. If I have accommodations for testing, can I take my exams in the DSS offices?

A: Yes. However, our time and space are limited, particularly during mid term and final exams, where there is a high demand for assistance. A request for DSS to proctor an exam should be initiated by the instructor by sending us this completed form. The instructor should be agreeable to shifting the day or time of the exam, if necessary.

Please keep in mind that our office space is shared with people from other departments of TCNJ. We cannot guarantee that the area will be quiet during your exam. You should discuss all possible options with your instructor before deciding on the environment that will work best for you.

8. I am planning to live on campus. Does DSS work with students to secure housing accommodations?

A: Yes. If your disability intersects with the on-campus living experience, DSS collaborates with you and Residential Education around housing accommodations. Before pursuing a housing accommodation request through DSS, you will want to complete the on-campus housing application through Residential Education. Please note that housing accommodations are determined on a year-to-year basis.

9. I have additional questions or concerns, who can I contact?

A: If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact Ms. Meghan Sooy, Director of Disability Support Services @ (609)771-3199 or by email @

Lion Plus contracts are due by 7/31/19; please send to